Minerva Owls of Bath. It's a hoot!

There is so much chat about owls going on at the moment with the installation of our Owl & the Pussycat sculpture in the playground and the launch of the Minerva Owls 2018 Sculpture Trail.

The school has a strong affinity with owls as we are lucky enough to hear them in our school woods and we now have two fabulous wooden owl sculptures in our grounds. Naturally, we have jumped at the chance to support the Minerva Owls of Bath project and are one of the first to sign up to an Owlet.

This new public art sculpture trail is coming to Bath this summer, featuring 100 giant painted Owls as well as the smaller Owlets, comes ten years after the popular King Bladud’s Pigs trail and eight years after the Lions of Bath. The owls will go on display on the streets and high spots across Bath for nearly three months from the end of June, before being auctioned off to raise money for charities.

We took delivery of our Owlet this week (an Owlivery!) and pupils have placed him in the Art Room. Miss Hucks has a wonderful plan to decorate the Owlet and everyone will be involved. In addition, we have owl related activities already planned for the summer term. The Owlet, who we have yet to name, will go on display over the summer along with all the other Owls and Owlets in the city centre, before returning to The Paragon, its forever home, in the autumn.

The Minerva’s Owl sculpture is based on a Little Owl, with a hint of Roman and Greek characterisation. The Roman Baths temple, built in 1AD, was dedicated to the Roman goddess Minerva, whose animal symbol was an owl. A stone owl can be seen on the Temple pediment displayed at the Roman Baths Museum.

We are delighted to be supporting this city-wide event which will raise money for good causes. 100% of the events profits go to charity. 70% will be donated to the ‘Forever Friends’ £8.5m appeal for the new Royal United Hospital Cancer Centre, which is due to open in 2019. The remaining 30% of event profits will be shared between three local charities. Ten percent will go to The Archway Project which will create a new state-of-the-art Learning Centre and World Heritage Visitor Centre at the Roman Baths complex, due to open in 2019. Ten percent will go to Bath & North East Somerset Young Carers who provide help, support, advice, workshops and breaks for young carers aged 5 to 18 who regularly look after a family member who is ill, frail or disabled. The final ten percent will go to The UK Little Owl Project, a Bath-based conservation charity, set up in June 2015 to help protect UK Little Owls. 

Minerva’s Owls will be a colourful and fun event for everyone visiting, living and working in Bath this summer.

Event organiser Megan Witty