The Paragon School has a rich and varied history.
In 1737, Mr Charles Milsom, a Cooper of Bath accidentally discovered a spring in what is now the grounds of Lyncombe House. With the glint of fortune in his eyes, he commissioned John Wood to design a ‘Duodecastyle Edifice’ which would protect the spring, and add a focal point to the paying visitors who he hoped would come flocking to Lyncombe in the Summer months as an alternative to the hot springs in Bath. The 'Spa' waters were said to be magical, and a book was published, ‘An Inquiry into the Contents and Medicinal Virtues of Lincomb Spaw Water, near Bath’, to lure tourists to the site.
The house was built in around 1742 to be used as accommodation for the Spa, but by 1800 was advertised to be let as ‘roomy and commodious in complete repair and ready for the immediate reception of a large and genteel family’. What we now know as classrooms, were a ‘handsome dining parlour’, a breakfast parlour, an elegant drawing room, five bed chambers with dressing rooms, a brew house, an excellent cold bath, a four-stall stable, coach house, a small greenhouse and a kitchen garden. The pleasure grounds contained lawn, shrubberies and neatly formed walks with two fish ponds. By 1857 the Moger family had purchased the house; they were important to the development of the rapid expansion of the city, owning land, a dairy, a brewery, a linen drapers and a bank. Moger created a circular plunge bath, which was situated at the eastern corner of the ground floor which was dismantled during the 1950s.
By 1952, the house was purchased by the Convent Prep, then becoming Lyncombe House School and The Paragon bought the building in 1983 and merged the two schools. The school has subsequently expanded with the renovation of the stable buildings, the addition of the Lodge and the creation of playgrounds and the outdoor learning classrooms.